August 2021 will see us produce our first Youth Theatre Company Production in the form of the utterly fabulous Hairspray! We cannot wait to welcome local talent along to be part of this wonderful production and know it will be an experience to remember. Our Youth Theatre Company is set to run bi-annually. Unlike our show-in-a-week, our youth theatre company is audition based so students must bring their A-game to show off their skills and wow us! Anyone in school years 6 to 11 (10 turning 11 year olds to 15 turning 16 year olds) from September 2020 to August 2021 can audition, but we ask that if you attend another dance or performing arts school, that you ask the permission of your principal first.
Our youth theatre company runs as a two week intensive summer school in mid-August and students are required to attend a casting day in June. This means we can cast them and give them their appropriate scripts and materials for them to begin working on prior to starting the two weeks. This also allows us to fit students for costumes ready for the show. What’s included along with dates, times, venues and costs are all below but please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions at all.
- 86 Hours of professional theatre training.
- 2 x west end workshops with professional performers.
- Youth Theatre Company kit pack, including a YTC logo bag, 2 x YTC t-shirts, a YTC branded water bottle, plus a YTC notebook and pen.
- Costumes for all students (these belong to CPA, you don’t keep them)
- Face paint and hair/make up where needed for certain characters.
- Theatre experience for performance.
Dates, Times & Venues:
- CASTING DAY – Saturday 27th June 2021 at Wildhill Village Hall from 2pm to 6pm for the whole cast. Students MUST attend this.
- Monday 9th August to Friday 13th August 2021 – 9am to 4pm at Wildhill Village Hall for rehearsals.
- Monday 16th August to Friday 20th August 2021 – 9am to 4pm at Wildhill Village Hall for rehearsals.
- Saturday 21st August 2021 – 9am to 5pm at Heath Mount School, Watton-at-Stone, for full technical and dress rehearsals.
- Sunday 22nd August 2021 – 10am to 2pm at Heath Mount School, Watton-at-Stone, for the final dress and technical rehearsals before two shows at 2pm and 6.30pm @ Heath Mount. The 2pm show is expected to finish by no later than 4pm and students can then go home and will need to return at 6pm for the second show to start at 6.30pm.
The Youth theatre company is £290.00 for the full two weeks inclusive and we require a £50.00 non-refundable deposit within 2 weeks of your successful audition – this includes all of those incredible extras we’ve mentioned!
To audition, please send an email to us on firstname.lastname@example.org stating your child’s name and age along with a short paragraph about them. You need to attach a head-shot of your child along with a video (maximum 2 minutes, minimum 1 minute) of your child performing. If they are a double or triple threat (for example, they are confident in more than one discipline across singing, acting and dancing) then you can send in 1 video for each discipline. These may need to be sent on separate emails due to file size. We want your child to feel confident and audition in areas they are comfortable in, therefore they can chose the pieces they send for their audition and these do not have to be relevant to the show at this point.
Things that aren’t included in the price:
- Tickets for the show – these will go on sale via your parent portal on 1st July 2021 and will cost £9.00 each for adult tickets and £7.00 for concession tickets including those under 16. Children aged under 3 do not require a ticket.
- Dance shoes are not provided, but students are expected to wear suitable for wear for their role. This will usually be jazz, ballet or turning shoes depending their role. We will send you details regarding this once they have been cast.
- YTC Hoodies – we are offering you the option to purchase a YTC personalised hoodie which they’ll receive on their first day of the company rehearsals in August. These will cost £30.00 each. They will go on sale on 1st June and will need to be paid for via your portal by 1st July if you want one for your child.
Character profiles for this show:
Tracy Turnblad is a young lady with big hair and an even bigger personality! She is the hero of our story and she is sweet but also strong in her convictions. She is bigger in size than the other girls, but she isn’t shy about it – she can still dance with the best of them! We’re looking for an excellent singer, dancer and actor, but most importantly, Tracy needs to be played by an actor who has wonderful stage presence and can easily capture the audience’s hearts.
Corny Collins, the host of “The Corny Collins Show,” is a Baltimore celebrity. Foremost, Corny is a charmer, so we’re looking to cast a young performer with great energy and someone who is unafraid of being in the center spotlight. Corny needs to be an experienced singer and actor.
Edna Turnblad is Tracy’s loving mother who doesn’t spend much time outside the house. She works days and nights as a laundress in her home, and her lack of social interaction has made her a bundle of nerves. This is a fantastic role for a young lady with great acting ability who can transform into an older character. Edna should be a proficient singer and be willing to sell it with strong character choices.
Wilbur Turnblad is Edna’s loving husband and Tracy’s supportive father who just wants the best for his girls. He’s got a heart of gold and cares about his family a great deal. We are looking for an actor who can portray convincing compassion but can also bring an edge of comedy.
Penny Pingleton is Tracy’s fun and sheltered sidekick. She is a young lady caught between her mother’s very strict rules and her own wants and desires to be just another teenage girl. This is an ideal role for an actress with a sweet voice and great comedic instincts.
Prudy Pingleton is Penny’s eccentric but loving mother, who wants the best for her daughter but is extreme in her means. We are looking for a strong actress, capable of capturing the conflict of being a caring mother who can’t help but be overprotective.
Amber Vontussle is a prom queen nightmare! She is definitely “The Corny Collins Show” favorite, but she is competitive and has a bad attitude. Amber is a great performer, so we’re very much looking to cast someone who is a triple threat with lots of confidence!
Velma Von Tussle is a carbon copy of Amber – just twenty years older and meaner! She is most concerned with making sure her daughter wins Miss Teenage Baltimore. We are looking for a strong actress who is unafraid of being a bit evil and who can make bold acting choices.
Link Larkin is Baltimore’s biggest heartthrob, and Tracy’s dream guy. Link is considered the best performer in town, so we need a young actor who is a triple threat. He should have a lot of charisma and a cheeky sparkle in his eye. Think of any teenage idol who is able to reduce girls to tears – that’s the confidence and charm we need!
Seaweed J. Stubbs is the object of Penny’s affections, and together, they are determined to defy the segregation laws of the 1960s. Seaweed can do it all! This is a great role for an experienced young performer who can sing, dance and act well.
Little Inez Stubbs is Seaweed’s little sister and a great role for a young actress. Little Inez gets her moment in the spotlight, so be we’re looking to cast a young actress who is a great singer and dancer. We need an actress with a quiet exterior who can be bold when needed.
Motormouth Maybelle is a soulful part for a performer who can play an older age. In this story, she is the face of the Civil Rights Movement and sings the beautiful anthem, “I Know Where I’ve Been.” We require a performer with a great voice and more importantly, someone who has strong stage presence.
The Dynamites (Judine, Kamilah and Shayna) are a dynamic musical trio, iconic of the Motown era and the 1960s. Think the Supremes. We’re looking for three young actresses who are advanced singers and dancers who complement each other – a group that can be synchronous in their music and dance.
Mr. Pinky owns a ladies’ clothing shop and is a salesperson inside and out – he is always the first to give a compliment. This is a perfect character role for a young actor who may be newer to the stage but has wonderful energy and acting ability.
Brad, Tammy, Fender, Sketch, Shelley, IQ, Brenda and Lou Ann are the famed teenage performers on “The Corny Collins Show.” This is a great opportunity to feature our best singers and dancers, as they’ll have to emulate some of the most famous dance moves from the 1960s. We need students with a lot of personality!
Other standout ensemble roles include:Gym Teacher, Cindy Watkins, Matron, Principal, Lorraine, Gilbert, Thad, Duane, Stooie, Beatnik Chick, Male Guard, Guard, Newscaster and Council Members. These roles give more texture to the lively world of 1960s Baltimore. This is truly a story about communities intersecting, and EVERY role matters.